Ken Greiner, DVM, our equine veterinarian, is committed to excellent equine health care services along with compassion and care for your horse.
Services available include:
One of the most advanced tools available to diagnose your horse's medical issues.
- Provides faster and higher quality images than film x-ray. Images are available immediately for review.
- Provides an accurate diagnosis for both lameness and pre-purchase examinations.
- Images can be manipulated to view in ways that weren't possible with film x-ray.
Ideal for a wide variety of procedures, including;
- Removal of skin tumors, warts and cysts
- Palmar Digital Neurectomy.
May be used to treat:
- Throat and sinus problems
- Reproductive problems
- Neoplasia (cancer), which most commonly involves the skin, but may include internal organs.
This diagnostic and therapeutic tool can be used to:
- Diagnose joint issues that are not evident with radiographs
- Repair fractures (such as joint slab fractures)
- Remove small chip fractures that may impede optimal joint function.
Using the latest large animal anesthesia machine, inhalation anesthetics are given through an endotracheal tube and delivered, along with oxygen, directly to the lungs. Inhalation anesthetics act quickly and offer a fast recovery from anesthesia.
Complete Blood Counts and Chemistry Analysis
This tool can be used to assess the current status of the horse's body, such as:
- The number of white and red blood cells and platelets that are circulating throughout the body.
- How well different enzymes are being produced and utilized.
- If by-products are being eliminated efficiently.
- Whether organ systems such as the liver and kidney are working appropriately.
Radiographs and Ultrasound
Today's x-rays and ultrasounds provide superior image quality. They allow:
- Improved visualization of soft tissue structures
- Vastly improved images of the stifle and skull
- Better ability to identify subtle or elusive problems.
The equine eye can be evaluated for:
- Corneal ulceration
- Eyelid abnormalities
- Retinal diseases.
Dental problems such as missing or abscessed teeth, hooks and ramps, and wave mouth can lead to serious medical problems such as colic, choke, and extensive weight loss. We provide:
- Power floating
- Correction of deformities
- Wolf teeth and molar extractions.
Reproductive Medicine and Surgery
Including uterine biopsy and cultures, artificial insemination and stallion collection
Lameness Evaluations and Tendon Ultrasound
A lameness exam includes:
- An evaluation of the horses gait in motion
- Hoof tester response
- Palpation for heat, swelling, joint effusion and sensitivity
- Flexion tests of the affected limb.
In order to accurately diagnose the lameness, one or all of the following diagnostic tests may be performed:
- Administration of diagnostic nerve or joint blocks
- Digital radiography
- Digital ultrasonography.
In-house EIA (Coggins) Testing
Lake Region Veterinary Center is certified by the USDA to perform EIA testing. Results are typically available within days. A negative Coggins test, as well as a health certificate, is required for interstate travel. Coggins tests are valid for 6-12 months depending on the state, and health certificates are valid for 30 days (must be issued within 10 days of travel). A Coggins test is testing for Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA). EIA is an infectious and potentially fatal viral disease to horses.
We understand the importance of a thorough examination for health and soundness prior to the purchase of a horse. The exam will be used to evaluate the health and serviceability of a horse on a particular day and is a useful tool for the buyer and the seller. We recommend that the examination be performed in an area with relatively hard, flat ground. The following systems are evaluated:
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy
Uses high-pressure waves focused at a point within tissue, which stimulates bone and soft tissue healing. Recommended for:
- Arthritic conditions
- Chronic tendonitis
- Fractures and stress fractures
- Joint diseases
- Navicular syndrome
- Back Pain
- Kissing spine disease.